Back in the days of Prohibition in America, it was a hazard associated with illegal speakeasies: "bathtub gin" that disguised a much deadlier alcohol: methanol, which caused horrible side-effects and could make drinkers go blind.
Almost a century later, it seems, methanol is still causing problems at some resorts.
BBC News tells the story of 23-year-old Hannah Powell, who was vacationing in Zante, Greece, when she unwittingly drank vodka laced with methanol.
"They put it in Smirnoff bottles, real bottles, so you've no reason to think it's not what it is," Hannah told the BBC. "It just makes it go further for the bars. They don't have to give you the normal quantity, they can give you much less because it's much stronger. But it's just so dangerous."
Hannah had been throwing up and felt exhausted after a night out on a bar crawl with two friends in August 2016. At first she thought it was just a hangover. But then when she woke up in her hotel room, she thought the lights were off.
"I suggested we open the curtains and my friends said they were already open," she told the BBC.
She was taken to the hospital, where she learned that her kidneys had failed.
Read the full story: